Whether you’d like to offer your services at playgroup, early years school or nursery or maybe you’d like a fun craft to enjoy with your child during the school holidays, Duck Tape is an incredibly versatile material which can be turned into all manner of wonderful objects to both educate and fascinate smaller children.
Little fingers can manage the sturdy tape well and with some assistance, even under-fives can create amazing things.
Here are some ideas for educational and beautiful Duck Tape crafts.
Natural Duck Tape Bracelets
A fabulous way to help your child or a group of children understand more about the world around them, natural bracelets have the added joy of being a two-part craft and involving some outdoor activity in addition to quiet indoor crafting.
- Duck Tape in a selection of colours
- A selection of flowers, feathers, pebbles, shells and other natural materials
Take your child or group of children into the garden or even the beach if you live close to the sea and help them to gather a selection of natural materials. They can choose flowers, leaves and grasses, smaller pebbles and shells, berries and twigs and even little acorns. Whatever takes their fancy is fair game when it comes to making natural bracelets with Duck Tape.
Once you have your supplies, ensure that everything is clean and safe to use and return indoors to begin crafting!
- Cut out strips of card which are 2 or 3 inches wide and long enough to slip over a child’s hand when the ends have been stuck together
- Stick the edges together with a strip of Duck Tape
- Cover the bracelet with Duck Tape so that the sticky side is visible
- The child may now stick his or her found objects in any design they choose to cover the surface of the bracelet
Children love this craft because it offers instant gratification; as soon as their bracelet is complete, they can wear it. No waiting for glue to dry!
Duck Tape Sailing Boats
Small children love playing with water and given the chance, they will splash about in the bath or with toys in a tub of water outdoors for hours. Of course, they should always be supervised whilst engaged in water play but when it comes to boat races with these fun Duck Tape Sailing Boats, most adults will agree that they’re more than happy to join in!
- Duck Tape
- Scouring sponges
- Wooden lolly sticks
- Craft knife
- Prepare each sponge for the children by cutting the front end into a point so that it resembles a basic boat
- With a sharp craft knife cut a small slit into the centre of each sponge; don’t go all the way through
- Cut out “sails” from card in the shape of a 4” X 5” rectangle
- Help your child to choose Duck Tape in their favourite colours and stick the Duck Tape to both sides of the card sail
- Using a craft knife, slit the sail an inch from the top and an inch from the bottom
- Thread a lolly stick through the sail
- Place the lolly stick “mast” into the sponge
Now enjoy some boat racing! This craft does require a lot of adult assistance because of the craft knife and scissors but children will love participating in sticking down their chosen Duck Tape as well as placing the sail into the sponge and most importantly playing with the finished product!